Food Safety Resources
SUMMARY OF REQUIREMENTS
• Establishing, for the first time, Good
Manufacturing Practices for ALL animal food.
– Previously established cGMP’s were only required for
certain types of medicated feed manufactures.
– No distinction between livestock feed and pet food
• Hazard Analysis and Risk-Based Preventive
– Each facility will be required to implement a written
food safety plan that focuses on preventing hazards in
animal feed and human food.
WHO IS COVERED?
• Facilities that manufacture, process, pack or
hold animal food
• In general, facilities required to register with
FDA under sec. 415 of the FD&C Act
• Applies to domestic and imported food
• Some exemptions and modified requirements
are being proposed – very limited.